Sunday, December 26, 2010

Winterpeg

Canada is huge. It took three hours to fly from Vancouver to Winnipeg my birthplace. Geographically in the center of Canada, it would have taken the same time to fly to Mexico. 

When I landed it was -25. The air stung and I could feel the ice cracked in my nostrils as I breathed. My pants and runners offered little protection from the cold and it felt hard to breathe. Thank god it wasn't cold yet. Winnipeg is known for it's occasional lows of -50 (with windchill).  

Mexico is far warmer but my family doesn't live in Mexico, hence the three day trip to the center of Canada. My dad as always on my arrival took me for a milkshake and hamburger at Winnipeg's famous Salsbury House. The first Salsbury was opened in 1931 and the decor, menu and staff don't appear to have changed since. The old ladies that serve at Salsbury make the worlds best milkshake and it is worth the trip to Winnipeg just to try one. 
 
My half sisters are growing fast. Strangely Natalie who is 2 is the same weight as Lura who is 4. Both were overjoyed to see me and I don't think either slept the entire time I was there. I didn't either as jetlag from India and Japan kept me awake most nights. On the last day of the trip it warmed up to a balmy -15 and we built a snow fort in the backyard. 

My Grandmother is doing well. Although in her 90's she is very coherent and has far outlived the expected lifespan of her hip replacement and pacemaker. I wanted to spend the night in her guest bedroom but I couldn't as I forgot to bring an extension cord. It gets so cold at night that a car left outside won't start in the morning. The solution is to plug it into the power outlets that come standard at anyplace you would want to park overnight. The plug on my fathers car simply wouldn't reach the outlet on the post at my grandmothers seniors home. 

Now back in Vancouver. It has been 8 days since I arrived and I am already partially employed. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Tyson

--
****************************************************
Tyson Brooks

Back in Vancouver
New cell phone - 778-708-6921


No comments:

Post a Comment