Monday, November 22, 2010

Leaving

I am very sad to have left Jen in Goa for her one month teacher
training yoga course. We spent an amazing three weeks together
enjoying the chaos of India.

The night before Goa we took a 14hr train half of which we could not
get a ticket for. At midnight we were displaced from our Sleeper beds
into General class but instead decided to take the more luxurious
option (no sarcasim here) of camping out on the floor by the door and
toilets with a delightful well educated Indian fellow who moved over
to make room for us. From 1am to 3am is a special time when an
otherwise bug free carriage ends up crawling with cockroaches. This
hallway was no exception and a large number in a variety of sizes
emerged from the walls. I made it my duty to save Jen (unbeknowest to
her) as best I could from the bugs as she slept seated somewhat
blissfully on the floor. Unable to sleep due to the hastle of a
continous stream of Indians walking over us she opted to sit on the
end of a sleeper bunk occupied by a 70 year old Indian teacher who
taught English. He quickly started calling her granddaughter and they
were soon chatting away. Unable to stay awake I curled up on top of my
pack in a reportedly cat like position. Jen spent a few hours
(unbeknowest to me) saving me from the cockroaches crawling above and
all around me. When I finally woke in the morning Jen was asleep on a
corner of the tiny sleeper bed she was now sharing with her
grandfather.

In Goa we checked into a thatched beach hut meters from the surf.
Although highly primitive it was more akin to peoples romantic beach
fantises. If located anywhere else it would be a dive I wouldn't touch
in any cirumstances. Quaint with its makeshift porcelein sink standing
on a temporary bamboo stand and shower identical to what I use to wash
vegetables in the kitchen sink this place was perfect.

In the evenings we would eat at beachside restaurants or take a box of
takeaway pizza and eat it on the sand at the surfs edge. In the
mornings we would go for a sunrise walk with a pack of dogs who
protected Jen from any stray Indians, dogs or cows. She looked like a
shepard with her walking stick and a pack of 8 dogs who seemed to
follow her everywhere.

It is very sad to be on my own again as I travel up through Mumbai and
on to Delhi for my flight to Japan.

Tyson
--
****************************************************
Tyson Brooks

In India -
http://tysonwrites.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment