Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's My Party - Last Day

An American was overheard telling his parents on Skype how wonderful
India is. He was impressed that there was a Thanksgiving parade where
free food was handed out to everyone in the Delhi backpackers area.
The Sikhs were actually holding a wonderful party to celebrate their
seventh gurus 334th death. The parade had started at 9am and was
slated to finish at midnight. The lengthy parade route was lined with
colourful lights and loudspeakers were put up playing the recital of
their holy book to music. Pots some far bigger then a double bed were
used to cook vast quantities of food to distribute to the crowds. Chai
was prepared in industrial sized vats and candy was given away by the
fistful. They even swept the streets clean for the parade. I was
treated so well and stuffed so full with food it felt like it was my
going away party. The very sight of a white face and a covered head
(respectful) earned me priority over the masses. Everyone wanted to
give me food and talk to me. It felt like the party was held in my
honour.

It was the perfect end to my last day in Delhi. Delhi is now cold
rainy and the streets are covered in a layer of rotting garbage, cow
crap and god knows what else. Despite being so dirty Delhi never fails
to intrigue.

--
****************************************************
Tyson Brooks

In India -
http://tysonwrites.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment